Lesotho


Lesotho
Originally uploaded by Stephen Downes.
Driving along the road just outside Maseru, we looked out over the valley to see the evening sun hiding behind the one cloud we had seen all day, casting the sky and land in a brilliant orange hue. Lesotho, that brilliant, incredible, fascinating, friendly, moving, sad, and beautiful Kingdom of the Sky.

Lesotho, where they said to me, "Go in peace," shook my hand three times, looked me in the eye, and thanked me for the small purchase I had made, and more, I think, for looking them in the eye, shaking their hand, and saying thank you. Lesotho, a land of quiet gentle people who have only, thorough all of their history, sought only to survive.

If there is justice in the world, I will one day return to Lesotho with more than just my goodwill and curiosity.

Comments

  1. Thanks for this. If I hadn't seen Lesotho I wouldn't really have seen South Africa either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are nice words about us. Our motto is Peace, Rain, Prosperity. We don't wanna bother anyone, and we don't wanna be bothered. I'm glad you had a positive experience of Lesotho. Do go back.
    Rethabile
    http://sotho.blogsome.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments will be moderated. Sorry, but it's not a nice world out there.

Popular Posts